Thursday, June 24, 2010

HOW TO: APPLE BREAD




I used to work at a historic interpretation job. I loved it, and since think back on it fondly. One of my weekly jobs was to cook for the other interpreters and show off the amazing culinary talents of the 1820s in Michigan. I used to make this recipe often, as it was a great sweet! So this recipe is from around the 1820s, and it actually turns out like a nice little coffee cake. I like making it for breakfast.

Hang with me, this is my FIRST How To.

HOW TO: RECIPE

Apple Bread

Ingredients
Dough:
2 Cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 T butter
1 cup milk
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1 egg, beaten

Topping:
I use roughly
1 cup dark brown sugar
4T softened butter
cinnamon
cut up apples

Steps:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut up an apple. Any kind will do, but I really like the sweet kinds. I leave on the skin. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt together. In a separate bowl, mix butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Add to the butter mixture the beaten egg, and the milk. Stir together. Gently stir into the flour mixture.
(excuse the messy kitchen, my apartment has a teeny tiny kitchen)

The mixture has a weird consistency. It's sticky, so don't worry if it turns out like that.
Pour the mixture into your pan. I personally like a loaf pan, but any really works. Get out a new bowl. Mix brown sugar, butter, and a bit of cinnamon in a bowl. Place it onto of the dough. Add apples on top, and sprinkle a little more cinnamon on top for extra taste.

Bake for 30-35 minutes and you're good to go!

It's really really a great dish! Hope you like it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment